In New Zealand around 15% of those who have had breast cancer will go on to develop incurable breast cancer. This means that the disease has spread, often into the bones, lungs, liver and brain. This is a terminal diagnosis that changes Members and their families lives forever.
Men and women living in New Zealand with incurable (secondary) breast cancer may become Members of Sweet Louise to access a wide range of support and services – membership is free.
Our range of services complement existing medical treatments and community support services. They include research-proven strategies to complement traditional treatment, as well as uplifting experiences and practical assistance to enable Members to cope better with treatment and its related day-to-day challenges. We aim to support each Member to live as positively as possible, for as long as possible.
Sweet Louise Provides
- An annual allocation of vouchers worth $500 to spend on our range of complementary and practical services. These include house cleaning, lawn mowing, wigs, massage and meal deliveries. All complementary services are approved by our Medical Advisory Board.
- Monthly Member Meetings offer peer support and the chance to connect with others on the same journey. They also offer inclusive activities and interesting speakers presenting on relevant topics. Member meetings are available in locations across the North Island.
- A wide range of information resources, both electronic and printed
- A facilitated Men’s Group for partners/husbands (in collaboration with local Hospices, in some locations)
- Practical support for children
- Referrals to and collaboration with community organisations supporting families experiencing cancer
Types of Services
- Sweet Louise Mind eg Counselling and emotional support
- Sweet Louise Body eg Haircuts, wigs and hats
- Sweet Louise Helpers eg House cleaning and gardening services
How do the vouchers work?
Registered Sweet Louise Members receive an annual allocation of vouchers worth $500.
You can redeem your vouchers at our Service Providers however you like – all at once, or spread over many months.
Members receive another batch of vouchers on the anniversary of the first allocation.
If you have more questions, please give us a call on 0800 11 22 77 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also find out more on our Frequently Asked Questions page.